Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Grits!

Hey yall! After living in the "South" for three years I have finally made edible grits!!! This is pretty exciting stuff, being a "Northerner" I never even tried grits until I reached Savannah on my move down to Florida.

My mother and I decided to stop in Savannah for a few days before arriving in Orlando. Best decision ever. My life changing experience took place at The Old Pink House. This place doesn't even have it's own website, but its amazing! It was at the Pink House that I had grits for the first time. They were so creamy and cheesy! Amazing! Why don't we have these up North, I will never know. After settling in my new home, Orlando, I decided I give it a crack-how hard could it be right?! WRONG! I followed the directions on the box-first wrong decision. My grits stuck to the pot, burned, and the cheese did nothing to help these grits. What a disaster!!! I pretty much gave up on trying to recreate what I had and longed for the day I would return to the Pink House.

About a month ago I had grits at Tuscany Grill and it rekindled my love for grits. So once more I set out to make them and this time I would conquer it!!!!

Ok-here's the recipe I used ( Sorry I don't have any pictures-next time I will be prepared. It's a quick process)

2 cups water
2 cups skim milk (use heavy whipping cream if you like)

Bring this mixture to a boil
Then add a tbsp of Kosher Salt
1 cup of grits
Continuously stir this mixture
Bring temp down slowly, but keep it to a boil
1 tbsp butter
2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese (add it slowly and fold it in)

*** I used just under 2 cups and I think if you use the heavy whipping cream you could go a little lighter, but its all preference!

Serve hot and enjoy!!

How do you eat your grits??

1 comment:

  1. I will follow your directions and give the grits a try. I did enjoy them at The Pink House, but I have never made them or even thought I would want to. You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete