Friday, September 2, 2011

Saffran the New Restaurant in Town


Yesterday I was invited to have lunch at a new restaurant in town, Saffran.  I like to think of most restaurants as the new kid in class. Usually they creep onto the scene quietly, eventually making a friend or two in class before they learn the lingo of town and get accepted. This is not how Saffran is taking the restaurant scene in Orlando. They have made an appearance in the US and are here to stay.

Saffran started in 2009 in Iceland and with their ever growing success they have decided to make a mark on the US. The key to their success-no white flour-no sugar-and no frying! The food is inspired by the Mediterranean and European food culture with Middle Eastern flavors. Now let's get down to the food.

I sat down with Saffran's restaurant chef- John Collazo to learn more about this company and how the food is prepared. He ordered a Safflat-which is basically a pizza with your salad on top. Very European. Remember no flour! I tried the Parma Safflat-parma ham, parmesan, pistachios, and rucola.
Restaurant Chef John Collazo with the Parma Flat




Next I tried the Tandoori Chicken, which is cooked in a traditional tandoori oven-if you have never seen one make sure you take a peek over the counter! This came with brown rice and small side salad. The piri-piri sauce is a bit spicy and reminded me of buffalo sauce, but the chef ensured me it was not. The garlic-dill cools you down after eating the piri-piri sauce.
Garlic-dill sauce top left. Piri-Piri bottom right.

Between the two I would have a hard time choosing which one I would prefer. Both had their own unique flavors. And of course there is still plenty more on the menu to try-salads, naanwich, burgers (that are def not your average burger). 

I saved room for dessert and I'm glad I did. John presented me with a bowl of sugar-free chocolate mousse! How can a girl say no to that? Rich and creamy-it hit my sweet spot. This also comes in Wild Berry! 


I have to mention they only serve local beer and wine! The beer is supplied from Orlando Brewing Company and the wine is coming from Lakeridge winery. Both are favorites of mine! 

Saffran might be the new kid in town, but they will be your new best friend in no time. Just stop by and give it a try.

1700 Sand Lake Road
Orlando FL





1 comment: