Monday, February 28, 2011

What to Watch for in your Next Meal Out!


Hello foodies and travelers! This week I’m looking at things from the side of the table, the restaurant owner/operator. There are many liabilities that come along with owning and operating a restaurant so today I will discuss three that come to my attention.
            First, is the product you are serving healthy? In 2009 there was a recall on beef. This affected 5 different major food chains. The meat was mechanically tenderized directly connecting it with E. coli. The Food Safety and Inspection Service named it a class 1 rating. This means there were serious thoughts that this meat could cause health consequences if not treated (meaning death). Man, if that isn’t enough to make you not want to eat red meat I don’t know what is. Scary thought.
            The next issue that comes to mind for me is safety. Just check out this short video clip. Wet floors are the cause of most accidents that occur in the restaurant whether if it’s a customer or an employee! Watch where you are walking people! Pay attention to the signs!
            I’m saving what I believe, the best for last. I grew up eating McDonald’s. Every Friday I was at McDonald’s to collect my Happy Meal toy! I had to collect all of the Barbie’s or the TY beanie babies. Now poor Ronald McDonald is getting sued for putting toys in his Happy Meals. Claims are that this teaches kids poor eating habits and contributes to child obesity. Well, I just don’t know about that. I think I turned out just fine, and I’m running 5ks and half marathons, and every now and then I still order my Happy Meal hamburger meal, but this time not for the toy!
            The public analyzes everything major corporations do. From my understanding, it was the people’s choice to eat what they wanted. Next time you travel to your favorite restaurant consider all of the things the restaurant has to uphold to serve you, your favorite meal! 

Sources:



http://www.healthkey.com/sns-health-mcdonalds-happy-meal-lawsuits,0,5733170.story

No comments:

Post a Comment