Monday, June 4, 2012

My Changing Thoughts on Food

Eating is essential. What you chose to put in your body is your own choice. Over the past year or so I've changed what I eaten or maybe at times my body forced me to change what I should eat. One other big part of my life is my decision to stay active by running half marathons. It's not just about the medal at the end (though that does help get me to the finish line) it's about seeing results and having a happy, healthy body.

My work takes me to Whole Foods and I've always loved that store, but I do not love the price tag that comes along with it. Working in this store has surrounded me with health nuts, people that don't know how to cook, and people just like me-they want to be healthy. 

So let's get down to the nitty gritty. Here's what I have changed

1-I do not drink milk anymore. Almond milk all the way. I'm not sure if the Forks over Knives scared me out of drinking it anymore, but I just feel better not drinking it. Want to know some of the benefits of almond milk? Take a look here.
A favorite of mine is the dark chocolate almond milk after a good workout!

2-Limiting my intake of red meat. My dad (probably like every other man) is a hard core carnivore. He could eat meat 7 days a week. My body just started to reject it. I feel very lethargic after eating it and after many medical studies, it's just not good for you. 

3-Eating fresh! Do you know where your food is coming from? Have you ever juiced an orange? Well I have and after making my own orange juice someone please tell me what is in tropicana because it is sure not all oranges. I don't want to eat processed foods or foods with tons of fillers.

4-I got rid of my microwave. (GASP!!) You are probably thinking I'm crazy right about now. At first it was kind of weird, but eventually I realized I just didn't need it and have gotten along just fine without it. Just think, the people of our past didn't have them. If it's not good for you to stand in front of a microwave why should I be eating food that I microwave? Think about it.

5- I make most of my own food. I have really limited my going out to eat and this was forced and by choice. First off, its good to save money (or pay off my student loans). When I go out to eat, I want it to be something I can't make at home or something really special. When I cook my own meals, I know exactly what went into them and who was touching them!

Even though I have made these adjustments it doesn't mean I don't have a day when I eat french fries or handful of candy. We have to indulge now and then, but it is all in moderation. I'm about to treat myself to a banana with nutella right now! I just encourage you to think about where your food is coming from and what you can do to keep your body healthy. 

1 comment:

  1. You were always in tune to what you did to or put into your body. As you mature you have continued to make wise choices about exercise and eating. You are the one that has to walk around in your body so make it the you can, You cant help aging it happens, but you can have control over how you keep your body. Good going and continue your approach how how you choose to live.

    ReplyDelete