Saturday, December 31, 2011

Holiday Traditions

The holidays are always hectic. Running around shopping, I never know if I bought the right gift. Did I remember everyone? Then there's the food-the best food always makes its appearance around the holidays. Stuffing myself silly, then regretting it later.

Since this is my 3rd year in Florida, I'm starting to make new traditions along with my old traditions. So I must preface this by saying I'm used to cold weather for Christmas. Sunny, 70 degree days, just don't cut it for me. Sorry! What better way to put you in the Christmas spirit than visiting ICE! at Gaylord Palms. If wearing a parka in 9 degree weather doesn't make me feel at home-I don't know what will.




Can you guess the theme this year? Shrek the Halls!

Also this year at Gaylord Palms you could decorate a gingerbread house, family, or ornament and meet the famous gingerbread man "Gingy".






How cute is this? We had a blast decorating and taking photos with Gingy. 

My next holiday tradition in Orlando-The Osborne Spectacle of Lights at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Thousands, no, make that millions of lights synched to holiday music. You really have to see it to believe it. 





This year I also got the chance to visit Universal Studios-this is probably the weirdest photo for me to take-Wearing shorts in front of a Christmas tree!

Now for my old traditions-which mainly take place in Philadelphia, PA. As a child my mom and grandmother would always take me to the city on PATCO to see the Dickens Village of a Christmas Carol. This is now housed in Macy's. Old figures that tell the story are still slowly moving to pass on this great story to generations to come. 






While there you have to stay and see the light show, which is every hour on the hour. It lasts about 10 minutes. Julie Andrews narrates the holiday songs everyone loves while music and lights flash along. 


One special treat I always look forward to are Chrusciki-they are a Polish food. The best way I can describe them are somewhat related to funnel cake, but not very cake like. Fried dough with powered sugar. 



While visiting home in NJ I enjoy spending time with my pets and feasting with my family. You can never get enough of homemade foods.





It was pretty obvious my pets did not want me to leave and neither did I. Sorry guys-I'll be back to visit soon. 


I hope everyone has a happy and healthy New Year. Here's to 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment